Spring Cleaning Tips for Seniors
Spring is known as the season of fresh starts. It’s no wonder that for many, spring cleaning is a yearly tradition. While doing chores may not sound very exciting, spring cleaning actually has many benefits. In fact, a clean home can help reduce allergies, increase happiness, and improve concentration.
As the weather turns warmer, take the time to get your home organized and tidy. Here are five simple spring cleaning tips for seniors:
- Do a little bit each day. Spring cleaning doesn’t have to be done all in one day. Take your time and tackle one task each day. Spreading it out will make spring cleaning feel less overwhelming. Plus, seeing your results from even small projects, like cleaning out a spare bedroom closet, can help motivate you to do more.
- Don’t forget your medicine cabinets. Unused or expired medications can clutter your cabinets. Plus, they increase the risk that you or a loved one could mistakenly take the wrong medication. Gather up any medications that are no longer necessary or expired—this includes both prescription and over-the-counter drugs. But don’t just throw them away! Instead, look for local take-back programs or simply take your unneeded medications to any local pharmacy who will dispose of them safely.
- Check your smoke detectors, carbon dioxide detectors & fire extinguishers. Make sure you have fresh batteries in your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors and that they are properly functioning. Also take the time to check the expiration on your fire extinguishers. If it has expired, replace it promptly. Look for smaller models that fit nicely in a cabinet or closet and are easier for seniors to manage.
- Prioritize getting rid of clutter. You’ve likely accumulated a lot over the years. Decluttering not only helps free up space, but studies show it can also ease feelings of stress, decrease anxiety and relieve insomnia. Spring cleaning is the perfect time to get rid of items you no longer need or want. Sort your belongings into three piles—keep, donate or trash.
- Enlist the help of family and friends. Don’t feel like you have to take on your spring cleaning projects alone. Instead, reach out to family and friends for help. Not only will it get the job done faster, but it may actually make completing these chores more fun for everyone.
Stress Free Senior Living at Symphony Senior Living
As we age, caring for a home on your own can become more difficult. Spring is a great time to re-evaluate you or your loved one’s current living arrangements and discuss whether downsizing to a senior living community is right for them. At Symphony Senior Living, our communities are designed to provide easy, worry-free living. From services like delicious home-style meals and cleaning tasks, to assistance with everyday needs, seniors have access to whatever they need to ensure they’re leading happy, healthy lives. Contact us today for more information about our living options and amenities for seniors.